Tuesday, April 18, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Gets Messy with Oxides



I am still trying to figure out all the properties of my new Distress Oxide Inks. So far, I've discovered that I l-o-v-e the way they work on kraft cardstock. So I decided I wanted to try them on black cardstock.


Here's my result. Check out the steps to see how I did it.


I began by rolling out some ink onto the cardstock using a brayer. 


I chose a purple tone, a teal tone, and then a darker blue tone. Picking up the ink on the brayer, I rolled several layers on. It's definitely transparent on the first go-round so it was necessary for me to roll several layers on to get the color to be as "vibrant" as I wanted. 


After I had my color all rolled out, I tested out the water-reactive properties.  


I sprinkled on some water and you can see how the coloration turns a little bit gray and chalky. Unlike Distress Inks, Distress Oxides are designed to layer over each other instead of blend smoothly. Consequently, when water is added to Oxides, they turn into this grayish patina-ey effect instead of running together. 


I stamped some flowers from the Trendy Spring Blooms over my background.



  Then I sprinkled some black soot Distress Spray Stains over it. 


And added some drama to the edges of it by sponging a black vignette. 


Lastly, I added some black metallic texture paste to the background through the Square Links stencil.


And then I stopped to admire my handiwork. OOooooOOoooo. 


I sponged some coordinating Distress Oxides onto die cut shapes from the coordinating Trendy Spring Blooms CUTplorations dies, and I embossed a sentiment to finish off my design.


Taaaddaaaaaaaaa!

If you'd like to try any of the techniques I've shown off, link it up to the Spotlight Gallery!

10 comments:

  1. Fabulous ... and I thought I didn't need distress oxides!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! And I have been wondering what to do with that black metallic texture paste ... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I see....gosh there is no end to all the stamp pads and what each one can do...love the stone effect...beautiful card

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty textures and colors! I just got 2 of the ink pads to try them out! Love the look on the dark cardstock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super fabulous Becca!!! I need to grab some of the Oxide inks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I had an Oh! moment.. I was sure that was a die cut! Great effect with the texture paste. Love this gungy creation. Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)